QBoard » Artificial Intelligence & ML » AI and ML - R » tm package error “Cannot convert DocumentTermMatrix into normal

tm package error “Cannot convert DocumentTermMatrix into normal

• I have created a DocumentTermMatrix that contains 1859 documents (rows) and 25722 (columns). In order to perform further calculations on this matrix I need to convert it to a regular matrix. I want to use the as.matrix() command. However, it returns the following error: cannot allocate vector of size 364.8 MB.

> corp
    A corpus with 1859 text documents
    > mat<-DocumentTermMatrix(corp)
    > dim(mat)
    [1] 1859 25722
    > is(mat)
    [1] "DocumentTermMatrix"
    > mat2<-as.matrix(mat)
    Fehler: kann Vektor der Größe 364.8 MB nicht allozieren # cannot allocate vector of size 364.8 MB
    > object.size(mat)
    5502000 bytes
    For some reason the size of the object seems to increase dramatically whenever it is transformed to a regular matrix. How can I avoid this?

Or is there an alternative way to perform regular matrix operations on a DocumentTermMatrix?
      June 11, 2019 4:39 PM IST
  • The quick and dirty way is to export your data into a sparse matrix object from an external package like Matrix.

> attributes(dtm)
    $names
    [1] "i"        "j"        "v"        "nrow"     "ncol"     "dimnames"

$class
    [1] "DocumentTermMatrix"    "simple_triplet_matrix"

$Weighting
    [1] "term frequency" "tf"​

The dtm object has the i, j and v attributes which is the internal representation of your DocumentTermMatrix. Use:

library("Matrix") 
    mat <- sparseMatrix(
               i=dtm$i,
               j=dtm$j, 
               x=dtm$v,
               dims=c(dtm$nrow, dtm$ncol)
               )

and you're done.

A naive comparison between your objects:

> mat[1,1:100]
    > head(as.vector(dtm[1,]), 100)

will each give you the exact same output.

September 3, 2021 1:38 PM IST
  • Since you only have 1859 documents, the distance matrix you need to compute is fairly small. Using the slam package (and in particular, its crossapply_simple_triplet_matrix function), you might be able to compute the distance matrix directly, instead of converting the DTM into a dense matrix first. This means that you will have to compute the Jaccard similarity yourself. I have successfully tried something similar for the cosine distance matrix on a large number of documents.
      June 11, 2019 4:40 PM IST
  • The number of documents should not be a problem but you may want to try removing sparse terms, this could very well reduce the dimension of document term matrix.

inspect(removeSparseTerms(dtm, 0.7))

It removes terms that has at least a sparsity of 0.7.

Another option available to you is that you specify minimum word length and minimum document frequency when you create document term matrix

a.dtm <- DocumentTermMatrix(a.corpus, control = list(weighting = weightTfIdf, minWordLength = 2, minDocFreq = 5))

use inspect(dtm) before and after your changes, you will see huge difference, more importantly you won't ruin significant relations hidden in your docs and terms.

September 2, 2021 1:38 PM IST