QBoard » Advanced Visualizations » Viz - Others » What do you use to generate a dashboard in R?

What do you use to generate a dashboard in R?

• I need to generate periodic (daily, monthly) web analytics dashboard reports. They will be static and don't require interaction, so imagine a PDF file as the target output. The reports will mix tables and charts (mainly sparkline and bullet graphs created with ggplot2). Think Stephen Few/Perceptual Edge style dashboards, such as: 

but applied to web analytics.

Any suggestions on what packages to use creating these dashboard reports?

My first intuition is to use R markdown and knitr, but perhaps you've found a better solution. I can't seem to find rich examples of dashboards generated from R.

August 25, 2020 3:27 PM IST
  • I think that Shiny is an overkill in this situation and doesn't match your requirement of dashboard reports to be static. I guess, that your use of the term "dashboard" is a bit confusing, as some people might consider that it has more emphasis of interactivity (real-time dashboards), rather than information layout, as is my understanding (confirmed by the "static" requirement).
    My recommendation to you is to use R Markdown and knitr, especially since these packages have much lower learning curve than Shiny. Moreover, I have recently run across an R package, which, in my view, ideally suits your requirement of embedding small charts/plots in a report, as presented on your picture above. This package generates static or dynamic graphical tables and is called sparkTable (http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/sparkTable).. Its vignette is available here (there is no link to it on the package's home page): http://publik.tuwien.ac.at/files/PubDat_228663.pdf. Should you ever need some interactivity, sparkTable provides some via its simple interface to Shiny.
      August 25, 2020 3:36 PM IST
  • I did find Flex Dashboard option pretty cool, interactive and easy to use. Give it a try maybe you would too.

Meanwhile, you can also try these as well.

1. Plotly Dashboard
    2. Shiney Dashboard

Hope it helps!

This post was edited by Vinaya Chahal at August 25, 2020 3:39 PM IST
      August 25, 2020 3:39 PM IST
  • Use R Markdown to publish a group of related data visualizations as a dashboard. Support for a wide variety of components including htmlwidgets; base, lattice, and grid graphics; tabular data; gauges and value boxes; and text annotations. Flexible and easy to specify row and column-based layouts.
      August 24, 2021 2:13 PM IST