QBoard » Artificial Intelligence & ML » AI and ML - Tensorflow » Combinatorial Optimization problems on Docker or AWS

Combinatorial Optimization problems on Docker or AWS

• I am attacking a combinatorial optimization problem similar to the multi-knapsack problem. The problem has an optimal solution, and i prefer not to settle for an approximate solution.

Are there any recommended tutorials regarding the quick prototyping and deployment of combinatorial optimization solutions (for senior software engineers that are also Big Data newbies)? I want to move quickly from prototype to deployment onto a docker cluster or AWS.

My background is in distributed systems (a focus on .NET, java, kafka, docker containers, etc...), thus I'm typically inclined to solve complex problems by parallel processing across a cluster of machines (via scaling on a docker cluster or AWS). However, this particular problem can NOT be solved in a brute force manner as the problem space is too large (roughly 100^1000 combinations are possible).

I've limited experience with “big data”, but I'm studying up on knapsack solvers, genetic algorithms, reinforcement learning, and some other AI/ML approaches. Given my limited exposure in this area, how would one recommend I tackle a problem such as this?

1. I tend to favor the approach of leveraging existing frameworks/libraries as much as possible. Good idea? Or would one recommend using Accord.Net or ML.Net or some other library to build a custom model?
    2. If existing frameworks are the way to go, any particular favorites? tensorflow? Any thoughts on Google OR tools: https://developers.google.com/optimization/ Anything in the AWS space?
    3. Any good tutorials, videos, or podcasts that can get me prototyping quickly? (keeping in mind my goal of deploying and validating the model on a docker cluster)

Thank you for any help and guidance!

August 17, 2021 1:16 PM IST
  • The Cloud Balancing problem in OptaPlanner (open source, java) is a multi-knapsack problem. There's a tutorial for it in the user guide. Many users run OptaPlanner implementations on Docker (normal open JDK 8 image) and AWS. Here's an Employee Rostering implementation that is deployed to OpenShift Dedicated (which generates an docker image that it runs on AWS) - it exposes a REST api (which is Swagger documented even)
      August 18, 2021 5:27 PM IST
  • Thanks to all for your insight above. I’m having a look at optaplanner and google-OT, as well as a few other solvers.

To follow up on this question, if I were to relax the constraint that I want the optimal answer , and allow for “approximate” solutions , would this change your guidance or recommended tool set (libraries/frameworks) in any way?

August 23, 2021 4:33 PM IST