QBoard » Advanced Visualizations » Viz - Tableau » In tableau, is there a way to hide/unhide a column of data, similar to excel? Not in data source, but in an actual worksheet?

In tableau, is there a way to hide/unhide a column of data, similar to excel? Not in data source, but in an actual worksheet?

• I just have a bunch of dimensions in rows, so its just a table of information and I need to hide a column of data because its confidential, but I need the data there because it affects the layout of the rest of the table.

September 17, 2021 10:40 PM IST
  • When you are working with fields that are not dates or numeric bins, Tableau hides missing values by default. For example, you may be showing workers and the number of hours worked in a particular month. If a worker didn't work at all that month, there may not be a row in the database for that worker. When you drag the Worker field to the Rows shelf, the workers that didn't work are hidden by default. You can show the empty rows by selecting Analysis > Table Layout Show Empty Rows.  Similarly, show the empty columns by selecting Analysis > Table Layout Show Empty Columns.

Empty Rows Hidden (default)

Bob did not work in January so there are no records in the database for him. By default he is not listed.

Empty Rows Shown

Even though Bob did not work in January, he is listed but no marks are drawn.

October 21, 2021 2:36 PM IST
  • How to hide/unhide columns in Tableau
    1. To hide a column simply right click on the column and select Hide.
    2. Note, you can show any hidden column by right clicking any of the visible columns and choose 'Show hidden data'.
    3. Alternatively, you can go to the analysis menu and select 'Reveal Hidden Data'.
      October 25, 2021 2:10 PM IST
  • Right click on the field that you want to hide on the rows or columns shelf, and turn off show header

September 18, 2021 12:35 PM IST