QBoard » Artificial Intelligence & ML » AI and ML - Conceptual » Motion recognition with Artificial Neural Networks

Motion recognition with Artificial Neural Networks

•  am developing (for my senior project) a dumbbell that is able to classify and record different exercises. The device has to be able to classify a range of these exercises based on the data given from an IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit). I have acceleration, gyroscope, compass, pitch, yaw, and roll data.
    I am leaning towards using an Artificial Neural Network in order to do this, but am open to other suggestions as well. Ultimately I want to pass in the IMU data into the network and have it tell me what kind of exercise it is (Bicep curl, incline fly etc...).
    If I use an ANN, what kind should I use (recurrent or not) and how should I implement it? I am not sure how to get the network to recognize an exercise when I am passing it a continuous stream of data. I was thinking about constantly performing an FFT on a portion of the inputs and sending a set number of frequency magnitudes into the network, but am not sure if that will work either. Any suggestions/comments?
      October 13, 2021 1:44 PM IST
  • Your first task should be to collect some data from the dumbbell. There are many, many different schemes that could be used to classify the data, but until you have some sample data to work with, it is hard to predict exactly what will work best.

If you get 5 different people to do all of the exercises and look at the resulting data yourself (e.g. pilot the different parts of the data collected), can you distinguish which exercise is which? This may give you hints on what pre-processing you might want to perform on the data before sending it to a classifier.

October 15, 2021 1:51 PM IST
  • First you create a large training set. Then you train it, telling it what actually happens.

And you might uses averages of data as well. Perhaps use actual movement and movement that is averaged over 2 sec 5 sec and 10 sec. use those too as for input nodes.

while exercising the trained network can be feeded with the averaged data as well ea (the last x samples divided by x), this will give you a stable approach. Otherwise the neural network can become hectic erratic.

Notice the training set might require averaged data as well and thus you will need a large training set.

October 23, 2021 1:56 PM IST
  • The body movement is one of the most important factors to evaluate the sleep quality. In general, the sleep motion is hardly investigated, and it must take a long time to observe the motion of the patient in terms of a pre-recoded video storage media with high speed playing. This paper proposes an image-based solution to recognize the sleep motions. We use the contact free and IR-based night vision camera to capture the video frames during the sleep of the patient. The video frames are used to recognize the body positions and the body directions such as the “body up”, “body down”, “body right”, and “body left”. In addition to the image processing, the proposed artificial neural network (ANN) sleep motion recognition solution is composed of two neural networks. These two neural networks are organized as in a cascade configuration. The first ANN model is used to identify the body position features from the images; and the follower ANN model is constructed based on the features that are identified by the first ANN model to recognize the body direction.
      October 25, 2021 2:17 PM IST
  • First you create a large training set. Then you train it, telling it what actually happens.
    And you might uses averages of data as well. Perhaps use actual movement and movement that is averaged over 2 sec 5 sec and 10 sec. use those too as for input nodes.
    while exercising the trained network can be feeded with the averaged data as well ea (the last x samples divided by x), this will give you a stable approach. Otherwise the neural network can become hectic erratic.
    Notice the training set might require averaged data as well and thus you will need a large training set.
      October 28, 2021 6:20 PM IST