QBoard » Artificial Intelligence & ML » AI and ML - Conceptual » Continuous vs Discrete artificial neural networks

Continuous vs Discrete artificial neural networks

• I realize that this is probably a very niche question, but has anyone had experience with working with continuous neural networks? I'm specifically interested in what a continuous neural network may be useful for vs what you normally use discrete neural networks for.
    For clarity I will clear up what I mean by continuous neural network as I suppose it can be interpreted to mean different things. I do not mean that the activation function is continuous. Rather I allude to the idea of a increasing the number of neurons in the hidden layer to an infinite amount.
    So for clarity, here is the architecture of your typical discreet NN: alt text
    (source: garamatt at sites.google.com)
    The x are the input, the g is the activation of the hidden layer, the v are the weights of the hidden layer, the w are the weights of the output layer, the b is the bias and apparently the output layer has a linear activation (namely none.)
    The difference between a discrete NN and a continuous NN is depicted by this figure: alt text
    (source: garamatt at sites.google.com)
    That is you let the number of hidden neurons become infinite so that your final output is an integral. In practice this means that instead of computing a deterministic sum you instead must approximate the corresponding integral with quadrature.
    Apparently its a common misconception with neural networks that too many hidden neurons produces over-fitting.
    My question is specifically, given this definition of discrete and continuous neural networks, I was wondering if anyone had experience working with the latter and what sort of things they used them for.
    Further description on the topic can be found here: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~lisa/seminaires/18-04-2006.pdf
      October 28, 2021 6:32 PM IST
  •  think this is either only of interest to theoreticians trying to prove that no function is beyond the approximation power of the NN architecture, or it may be a proposition on a method of constructing a piecewise linear approximation (via backpropagation) of a function. If it's the latter, I think there are existing methods that are much faster, less susceptible to local minima, and less prone to overfitting than backpropagation.
    My understanding of NN is that the connections and neurons contain a compressed representation of the data it's trained on. The key is that you have a large dataset that requires more memory than the "general lesson" that is salient throughout each example. The NN is supposedly the economical container that will distill this general lesson from that huge corpus.
    If your NN has enough hidden units to densely sample the original function, this is equivalent to saying your NN is large enough to memorize the training corpus (as opposed to generalizing from it). Think of the training corpus as also a sample of the original function at a given resolution. If the NN has enough neurons to sample the function at an even higher resolution than your training corpus, then there is simply no pressure for the system to generalize because it's not constrained by the number of neurons to do so.
    Since no generalization is induced nor required, you might as well just memorize the corpus by storing all of your training data in memory and use k-nearest neighbor, which will always perform better than any NN, and will always perform as well as any NN even as the NN's sampling resolution approaches infinity.
      October 30, 2021 2:03 PM IST
  • The term hasn't quite caught on in the machine learning literature, which explains all the confusion. It seems like this was a one off paper, an interesting one at that, but it hasn't really led to anything, which may mean several things; the author may have simply lost interest.

I know that Bayesian neural networks (with countably many hidden units, the 'continuous neural networks' paper extends to the uncountable case) were successfully employed by Radford Neal (see his thesis all about this stuff) to win the NIPS 2003 Feature Selection Challenge using Bayesian neural networks.

October 30, 2021 2:23 PM IST
  • The term hasn't quite caught on in the machine learning literature, which explains all the confusion. It seems like this was a one off paper, an interesting one at that, but it hasn't really led to anything, which may mean several things; the author may have simply lost interest.
    I know that Bayesian neural networks (with countably many hidden units, the 'continuous neural networks' paper extends to the uncountable case) were successfully employed by Radford Neal (see his thesis all about this stuff) to win the NIPS 2003 Feature Selection Challenge using Bayesian neural networks.
      November 2, 2021 7:13 PM IST