QBoard » Artificial Intelligence & ML » AI and ML - PyTorch » calculate perplexity in pytorch

calculate perplexity in pytorch

• I've just trained an LSTM language model using pytorch. The main body of the class is this:
    class LM(nn.Module): def __init__(self, n_vocab, seq_size, embedding_size, lstm_size, pretrained_embed): super(LM, self).__init__() self.seq_size = seq_size self.lstm_size = lstm_size self.embedding = nn.Embedding.from_pretrained(pretrained_embed, freeze = True) self.lstm = nn.LSTM(embedding_size, lstm_size, batch_first=True) self.fc = nn.Linear(lstm_size, n_vocab) def forward(self, x, prev_state): embed = self.embedding(x) output, state = self.lstm(embed, prev_state) logits = self.fc(output) return logits, state
    Now I want to write a function which calculates how good a sentence is, based on the trained language model (some score like perplexity, etc.).
    I'm a bit confused and I don't know how should I calculate this.
    A similar sample would be of greate use.
      November 3, 2021 5:26 PM IST
  • Perplexity (PPL) is one of the most common metrics for evaluating language models. Before diving in, we should note that the metric applies specifically to classical language models (sometimes called autoregressive or causal language models) and is not well defined for masked language models like BERT (see summary of the models).

Perplexity is defined as the exponentiated average negative log-likelihood of a sequence. If we have a tokenized sequence X = (x_0, x_1, \dots, x_t)X=(x0,x1,,xt), then the perplexity of XX is,\text{PPL}(X) = \exp \left\{ {-\frac{1}{t}\sum_i^t \log p_\theta (x_i|x_{<i}) } \right\}PPL(X)=exp{t1itlogpθ(xix<i)}

where \log p_\theta (x_i|x_{<i})logpθ(xix<i) is the log-likelihood of the ith token conditioned on the preceding tokens x_{<i}x<i according to our model. Intuitively, it can be thought of as an evaluation of the model’s ability to predict uniformly among the set of specified tokens in a corpus. Importantly, this means that the tokenization procedure has a direct impact on a model’s perplexity which should always be taken into consideration when comparing different models.

This is also equivalent to the exponentiation of the cross-entropy between the data and model predictions. For more intuition about perplexity and its relationship to Bits Per Character (BPC) and data compression, check out this fantastic blog post on The Gradient.

Calculating PPL with fixed-length models

If we weren’t limited by a model’s context size, we would evaluate the model’s perplexity by autoregressively factorizing a sequence and conditioning on the entire preceding subsequence at each step, as shown below.

Full decomposition of a sequence with unlimited context length

When working with approximate models, however, we typically have a constraint on the number of tokens the model can process. The largest version of GPT-2, for example, has a fixed length of 1024 tokens, so we cannot calculate p_\theta(x_t|x_{<t})pθ(xtx<t) directly when tt is greater than 1024.

Instead, the sequence is typically broken into subsequences equal to the model’s maximum input size. If a model’s max input size is kk, we then approximate the likelihood of a token x_txt by conditioning only on the k-1k1 tokens that precede it rather than the entire context. When evaluating the model’s perplexity of a sequence, a tempting but suboptimal approach is to break the sequence into disjoint chunks and add up the decomposed log-likelihoods of each segment independently.

Suboptimal PPL not taking advantage of full available context

This is quick to compute since the perplexity of each segment can be computed in one forward pass, but serves as a poor approximation of the fully-factorized perplexity and will typically yield a higher (worse) PPL because the model will have less context at most of the prediction steps.

December 7, 2021 12:41 PM IST
  • When using Cross-Entropy loss you just use the exponential function torch.exp() calculate perplexity from your loss.
    (pytorch cross-entropy also uses the exponential function resp. log_n)

So here is just some dummy example:

import torch
    import torch.nn.functional as F
    num_classes = 10
    batch_size  = 1

# your model outputs / logits
    output      = torch.rand(batch_size, num_classes) 

# your targets
    target      = torch.randint(num_classes, (batch_size,))

# getting loss using cross entropy
    loss        = F.cross_entropy(output, target)

# calculating perplexity
    perplexity  = torch.exp(loss)
    print('Loss:', loss, 'PP:', perplexity)  

In my case the output is:

Loss: tensor(2.7935) PP: tensor(16.3376)

You just need to be beware of that if you want to get the per-word-perplexity you need to have per word loss as well.

Here is a neat example for a language model that might be interesting to look at that also computes the perplexity from the output:

https://github.com/yunjey/pytorch-tutorial/blob/master/tutorials/02-intermediate/language_model/main.py#L30-L50

November 11, 2021 2:33 PM IST
  • I was surfing around at PyTorch's website and found a calculation of perplexity. You can examine how they calculated it as ppl as follows:

criterion = nn.CrossEntropyLoss()
    total_loss = 0.
    for batch, i in enumerate(range(0, train_data.size(0) - 1, bptt)):
        loss = criterion(output.view(-1, ntokens), targets)
        loss.backward()
        total_loss += loss.item()
        log_interval = 200
        if batch % log_interval == 0 and batch > 0:
            cur_loss = total_loss / log_interval
            print('ppl {:8.2f}'.format(math.exp(cur_loss)))
            ...​

As @SpiderRico reminded, I got it from this link

November 19, 2021 12:04 PM IST