QBoard » Artificial Intelligence & ML » AI and ML - Conceptual » Difference between batch q learning and growing batch q learning

Difference between batch q learning and growing batch q learning

• I am confused about the difference between batch and growing batch q learning. Also, if I only have historical data, can I implement growing batch q learning?

Thank you!
      June 11, 2019 4:13 PM IST
  • If you have few states/actions and a lot of data, you can try an approach similar to this paper: arxiv.org/abs/1003.5956 The idea is to take from the complete data set only the state/actions pais that match the policy that you have learned. But as I say, this is only feasible if you have a lot of data and few state/action pairs.
      June 14, 2019 11:04 AM IST
  • In batch Q-learning you only have historical data, with no possibility to adquire new data following a given policy. On the contrary, in growing batch Q-learning, the algoritm is almost equal, with the difference that in some iterations you use intermediate policies to acquire more data, thus growing the batch of data with new data (which incorporate exploration).

So, if you only have historical data, it is not possible to grow the batch with new data. I.e, in your case is not possible to implemente growing batch Q-learning.

You can read a detailed explanation in chapter 2 of the book: Wiering, Marco, y Martijn van Otterlo, eds. Reinforcement Learning: State-of-the-Art. 2012.ª ed. Springer, 2012. Link to the chapter

June 11, 2019 4:15 PM IST