QBoard » Data Science General, Tips and Techniques » Career Guidance » Requirements for entry level data analyst jobs for math masters

Requirements for entry level data analyst jobs for math masters

• I have two masters in pure mathematics and I am thinking to go for data analyst job. I have background in mathematics and statistics but I don't know any programming language (thought I deal with Mathematica, Matlab etc). Is it possible for me to go for data analysis. What I need to learn?
      June 11, 2019 5:04 PM IST
  • When you Google for the math requirements for data science, the three topics that consistently come up are calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. The good news is that — for most data science positions — the only kind of math you need to become intimately familiar with is statistics.
      September 21, 2021 12:07 PM IST
  •  

It is useful to learn a scripting language that it is common for data science tasks like Pytoh or R. Moreover, it could be useful to learn Excel and SQL. From the Mathematical background all you need is Statistics, Theory of Probabilities and a basic knowledge of Algorithms (e.g. Optimization).

June 11, 2019 5:08 PM IST