QBoard » Statistical modeling » Stats - Tech » Is it possible to make two grayscale images stastistically equivalent?

Is it possible to make two grayscale images stastistically equivalent?

• I have 2 grayscale images say G1 and G2 . I also have the statistics (min ,max ,mean and Standard Deviation). I would like to change G2 such that the statistics of G2 (min ,max,mean and SD)match G1. I have tried arithmetic scaling and got the min and max values of both G1 and G2 to match but mean and SD are still different. I have also tried Histogram fitting of G2 in G1 but that did not do what i wanted either. I am using a software called SPIDER this a question applicable to image-processing which can be performed using different software packages(OpenCV MATLABetc) .Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

December 4, 2021 1:28 PM IST
  • You can generate a mapping of input to output based on a simple curve. Start with the values that don't have any dependencies, min and max - those will set the ends of the curve. Now map the mean values to create a single point in the middle of the curve. To modify the standard deviation, you change the shape of the curve between the mean and the endpoints - a curve that is flatter in the middle will give less deviation, and a curve that is flatter towards the ends but steeper in the middle will magnify it.

Edit: I haven't given this enough thought yet, changing the shape of the curve will also change the mean. But I think it can be worked into something usable.

January 7, 2022 12:44 PM IST
  • I marked the histogram equalization answer as right because it gave me the best results however I was unable to make the 2 images exactly statistically equivalent as such

January 13, 2022 1:36 PM IST